January 07, 2013

Gluten-Free Vegan Burritos with Homemade Refried Beans and TVP


Last night, I ate grated carrot and pickles wrapped in lettuce with hot sauce. I would not blame you if questioned my legitimacy as a food blogger at this time. I am a little ashamed of my lack of effort, but in my defense, I'm just getting over a harsh return to work following a week of lazy winter vacation.

There were certain moments that signified my return to reality. Firstly, I can no longer manage the amount of needles waterfalling off of my Christmas tree. Secondly, since he  missed us so much, I have awoken each morning to the cat either pawing gently at my face, spooning the top of my head or perched directly in front of my face- staring. Thirdly, my refrigerator is facing a serious vegetable drought. Since one cannot live off wine and condiments alone, and since January and frugality tend to go hand-in-hand, a combination of groceries and dipping into rations of dried beans seemed appropriate.

This is really just an idea for a recipe which can be easily modified to accommodate different food sensitivities and taste preferences. I wish it involved some kind of homemade tortilla - but I really lack the energy for such an undertaking right now. Also, the refried beans are my partner's recipe. He is more of a "dash of this, lots of that" kind of cook, so it does not resemble a traditional method. But it is delicious, so when he began talking out loud in the kitchen, I grabbed a pen.

Vegan Burritos with Homemade Refried Beans and TVP 

Ingredients 

For the beans:
1 medium to large carrot, peeled and diced
1 onion, peeled and diced
1 stalk celery, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed and minced
1/2 tbsp olive oil
1 1/2 tbsp chili powder
1 tsp cocoa powder
1 tsp tabasco sauce (more or less depending on your heat preference)
2 cups black beans
3/4 cup vegetable stock (GF, CF and TF if necessary)
1 tbsp brown sugar
Salt and pepper, to taste

For the TVP:
1 cup TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein - soy based)
1 cup vegetable stock (GF, CF and TF if necessary)
1 tsp olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and chopped
1/4 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 tsp liquid smoke
1/2 tsp chipotle powder

Other toppings: sautéed bell peppers and onions, vegan/regular cheese, lettuce, rice, vegan/regular sour cream or plain yogurt, jalapeño peppers, salsa and guacamole

For gluten-free, corn-free wraps: Brown Rice Tortilla wraps (usually frozen) or Smart & Delicious Wraps (fresh). If you're not corn-free, use regular corn tortillas that don't use wheat flour.

Directions  

If you are a planner and are using dried beans, soak them overnight in cold water before boiling them in fresh water until soft, about 45 minutes. Do not add any kind of salt - it will slow the cooking process. If you're just using canned beans, one can is equivalent to about 2 cups. Rinse them well.

If you're making rice, it's good to throw it on now. I remembered that I wanted brown rice after everything had been cooked, and due to my inability to cope with hunger and wait patiently, I went with your basic white.

For the beans, sauté the carrot, onion, celery and garlic with the olive oil for 5-10 minutes, until soft. Add chili powder, cocoa powder, tabasco sauce and beans. Slowly stir in the vegetable stock, adding about 1/4 cup at a time, and let it cook down for a few minutes each time.  Add the brown sugar. Mash to desired consistency with a masher or fork. Let simmer about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

While beans are simmering, heat a medium saucepan for the TVP and sauté the onions and peppers with oil for 3-5 minutes until soft. Add the vegetable broth and let it come to a simmer. Stir in the TVP, liquid smoke and chipotle powder.

Prepare other toppings and serve over warmed tortillas. Serves 3-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment