June 15, 2013

Vitamin-Rich Vegan Green Breakfast Smoothie, with Chard, Pistachios and Ginger: A Green Smoothie for the Fruit Smoothie Enthusiast


I have never been big on green smoothies. Given my diet, it's probably not necessary to "sneak" extra vegetables into my food, and 99 times out of 100, I prefer to chew my leafy greens. I did give it a try a couple of years ago, though, and I have to say- if getting an avocado down in liquid form is something you're capable of, good on you- but I have steered clear of them since.

This time, I thought I'd try different sources of greens for a fresh recipe. To my surprise, I completely loved it. The sweetness from the pistachios and fruit isn't overpowered by the chard, and the ginger makes it totally refreshing. Plus, it's so full of goodness, I had to break it down for you below.

Vitamin-Rich Vegan Green Breakfast Smoothie, with Chard, Pistachios and Ginger

Ingredients 

1/2 banana
1/2 apple, chopped
1 cup swiss chard, hard stems removed
1 1/2 tbsp pistachios
1 tsp freshly grated or minced ginger
1/2 tsp agave nectar
1 cup unsweetened soy milk
1 - 2 ice cubes (optional)

Directions 

Blend all ingredients together in a food processor. Makes one serving.

Nutritional Info:
Calories 117
Potassium 377mg
Fiber 4.1g
Carbohydrates 18.4g
Protein 5.35g
Fat 2.5g
Vitamin C: 28.5%
Vitamin B-6: 10%
Vitamin A: 44%

(Nutritional facts from nutritiondata.self.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment