April 13, 2013

DIY - Coconut Oil Citrus Sugar Scrub



I had a weekend of projects which I would describe as semi-failures. My raw wraps emerged from my dehydrator as delicate little wisps of crackers, and I mistakenly assumed that cereal boxes were the same size as your average piece of paper while crafting an organizer for my filing. In that moment, when I was ready for the final triumphant step of neatly placing the newly sorted paper trail of my life into its new home, I exhaled and instead decided to try something a with less room for error.

This next project may surprise people who have known me for many years. I have never been a girly-girl. But, since leaving university and stepping out from under the wings of my roommates, I have made many upgrades to my life. Boots and heels have replaced Crocs on weekends. No one has warned me that I wouldn't be allowed into their birthday party if I wore my Bob Marley sarong (I understand now that this is not the same as a strapless dress). I have purchased my very first hair straightener, had my very first manicure, and - for the first time in my life - I now own and understand the benefits of moisturizer and bath products.

The latter has gotten me excited about this next discovery. Firstly, because it's so simple. Secondly, because I like sugar, I like pretty smells, I like smooth skin and I like making my own things. My girlfriend is coming back from a week-long trek through the mountains of Nepal, so for her birthday, I thought I'd make her something that could involve a side of candles, warm water and feeling squeaky clean.


The basic rule with sugar scrubs is that your ratio of sugar to oil is 2-1. Other than that, it's a matter of adding the essential oil or spices of your choice. You can experiment with different variations, but here's what I ended up using:

1 cup coconut oil
2 cups fine white sugar
2 tbsp natural honey
15-20 drops orange or preferred essential oil (I really didn't shy here... just keep adding until it's strong enough for you)

Heat the coconut oil on the stove on low until it's liquid, and slowly stir it into a bowl with the sugar. Add all the other ingredients and mix together well. Put into a jar or dish to use in the shower, and voila! The coconut oil will solidify once it has returned to room temperature. Using a sugar scrub feels best if you have a little shower mitt to use, but you can also just use your hands. You should avoid using this on your face, and be very careful in the shower or tub since it can get pretty slippery. Yields just over one medium mason jar.

No comments:

Post a Comment